Vocus Inc. Stock Downgraded (VOCS)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Vocus (Nasdaq:VOCS) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 2860.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.40 million to -$11.75 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, VOCUS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 46.71%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 3050.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- VOCUS INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VOCUS INC reported poor results of -$0.78 versus -$0.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.36 versus -$0.78).
- The gross profit margin for VOCUS INC is currently very high, coming in at 84.50%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -38.50% is in-line with the industry average.
Vocus, Inc. provides cloud marketing software that enables businesses attract, engage, and retain customers in the United States, Europe, Asia, and Morocco. It offers a suite of software for social media marketing, search marketing, email marketing, and publicity. Vocus has a market cap of $412 million and is part of the technology sector and internet industry. Shares are down 42.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.